Code of Ethics
All of our tutors agree and adhere to the below, as outlined by The Tutors' Association.
- I understand that my role as a tutor is to encourage and enable pupils to achieve their unique potential as independent learners through acknowledgement, encouragement, understanding, and personalised attention.
- I will be careful to avoid creating any unhealthy dependencies by suggesting a need for tutoring where no such need exists; reporting in a manner that explicitly or implicitly suggests a need for further on-going tutoring or engaging in any practice that undermines the independent learning of pupils.
- I will not engage in any form of plagiarism, such as completing pupils' homework assignments for them.
- I will demonstrate faith in my pupils' learning ability and provide honest, positive and constructive feedback.
- I understand the need to be flexible in my approach to tutoring to assist my pupils in discovering effective learning strategies.
- I undertake to keep up-to-date with advances in subject knowledge and pedagogy.
- I undertake to comply with CTG's Child Protection Policy.
- I am committed to identifying any particular challenges or difficulties my pupils might have with their learning and to assisting them in overcoming those barriers.
- I will share with my client any concerns I have about pupils' social, emotional and behavioural difficulties that are beyond my competency to address.
- I will identify to my client any special educational needs that are beyond my experience or ability to resolve, in order that they may secure for them the right kind of specialist help.
- Any referrals I make will come with full disclosure of any personal or material interest.
- I understand that my relationship to my pupils is professional and not personal and that I have a duty of care towards them.
- I will keep information about the pupil whom I am assigned confidential, unless doing so would be to result in injury or harm being done to them.
- I will show respect for my pupils' cultural background, personal dignity and values.
- I will maintain accurate records of tutoring sessions as expected and required.
- In situations where I am working for a tutoring company, I will respect the terms and conditions of my contract, and in particular, will not seek to provide educational services to pupils I have been introduced to in this way independently of the company.